How To Pursue Compensation When Your Child Is Injured On A Playground

If your child is injured on a playground and incurs medical bills, it is within your rights to try and recoup those costs. How you recoup these costs depends upon where the playground was located that your child was hurt on.

#1 Business Location

If your child was hurt at a business location, such as a play structure located at a children-focused restaurant or a child play center, you are going to want to talk to the manager of the location. You are going to want to get the businesses liability insurance information from the manager of the business. Then, you'll want to contact their insurance company. If your child's bills are small enough, they may just pay them out. If your child's medical bills are large, you may need to file a claim with their insurance company.

#2 School

If your child was hurt at their school, the school system should have a process in place for paying for your child's medical expense. An accident and injury report should be filed by the school. You may need to get in contact with the district office in order to move forward with a formal request and to provide the school district with your medical bills and expenses. Generally, schools will not fight you on these issues and will work together with you to resolve the medical bills that your child incurred due to their injury on school grounds.

#3 Government Location

If your child is hurt a local, state or federal park, you are going to need to go through a specific process for getting compensation. You are going to have to file a specific government claim in order to get compensation. These claims are usually really time sensitive, so you'll want to contact an attorney, like Kiernan Personal Injury Attorneys PA, familiar with these type of cases so that they can walk you through the process and ensure that you complete all paperwork on time and get the compensation that you deserve.

#4 Personal Home

If your child was hurt at someone's home, the first thing you should do is talk with the homeowners and see if they want to cover your child's medical bills out of pocket.

This can often be more affordable way for them to go instead of involving their insurance company, paying a deductible and seeing their insurance costs rise. If they don't want to pay out of pocket or will not work with you, you are going to need to file a claim against their homeowner's or renter's insurance, specifically the liability coverage, in order to get your child's medical bills compensated.